Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 12

Well, 2 weeks in and if your anything like me you have one of two things going on. Either you are really making progress and feeling motivated or the initial motivation is waning and old thought patterns and habit are desperately trying to creep back in. I hope the first is the case but those that are struggling, I have some thoughts.

Much of our success or failure is not so much rooted in our outward actions but our inward thoughts. The things we think about, the thoughts we identify with and agree with. They are most likely very familiar and comfortable ways of thinking, reinforced by years of experience. Where do we get our identity? Here are a few ways. Our family of origin, our career, our children, our money, or lack of money, our appearance, our strengths our weaknesses. I am sure you get the idea. As I listed these things, one or two most likely stood out to you. The question to ask is not is this true about me but is this the way God sees me? If you are not convinced that God sees you as perfect because of who HE is, you will tend to believe the words of others, the lies of the enemy or your own thoughts. God always calls us to agree with Him. God says that every promise written in His word is for us and He says yes and amen to it our our lives! Jesus is truth and His word trumps every other so called "truth" that we are living under. Do you live in fear? Gods love casts out all fear! Do you live in regret? He says there is no condemnation for us! You think you are undisciplined? He says you have the very mind of Christ. Whatever you are aware of is what you will be under the influence of.

This spoke volumes to me because I have struggled my whole life with eating compulsively. I would tell people, "I am aware that I am a compulsive over eater and I know I will always struggle with this". Wow, talk about setting myself up for failure! This revelation has been huge in my life! When I choose to be aware of the words God speaks about me I begin to live under the influence of His truth in my life, not my own thoughts that do not line up with who He says I am!

IDENTITY, who are you? Here is a list.

YOU ARE
chosen
accepted
called
forgiven
free
delivered
complete in Christ
highly favored
blessed with EVERY spiritual gift
healed
disciplined
the apple of God's eye
the very image of God
God's daughter
beautiful

YOU ARE A NEW CREATION

We can choose what we are going to agree with. Which thoughts are you going to believe and which ones are you going to challenge? Which thoughts will you be under the influence of today? When a thought comes to you, ask yourself if it lines up with who God says you are. I am getting MUCH better at this. Not only are my thoughts lining up with God's, but now my words are lining up as well! This is a good thing!

Be encouraged today! If you have lost some momentum, just pick up where you left off, just like you do with the never ending pile of laundry. Just because is looms large some days and you are a few days behind doesn't mean you stop doing laundry. Now that a good word!





2 comments:

  1. Could sleep have been thinking a lot about our group. was going to turn on the T.V but instead turned on my computer to read the Bible. I read this and thought this is life this is how we fight the enemy. This is how we must think and how must must do!!

    2 Samuel 22:29-38


    29 You are my lamp, O LORD;
    the LORD turns my darkness into light.

    30 With your help I can advance against a troop [g] ;
    with my God I can scale a wall.

    31 "As for God, his way is perfect;
    the word of the LORD is flawless.
    He is a shield
    for all who take refuge in him.

    32 For who is God besides the LORD ?
    And who is the Rock except our God?

    33 It is God who arms me with strength [h]
    and makes my way perfect.

    34 He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
    he enables me to stand on the heights.

    35 He trains my hands for battle;
    my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

    36 You give me your shield of victory;
    you stoop down to make me great.

    37 You broaden the path beneath me,
    so that my ankles do not turn.

    38 "I pursued my enemies and crushed them;
    I did not turn back till they were destroyed.

    ReplyDelete